Saturday, November 20, 2010

Target becomes it's own target

So I know this is old news but I said in my first post that I had a backlog of people (and/or organizations) that needed the stupid to be called on them.

In case you don't remember, Target, under the new "Citizens United" decision by the Supreme Court (we'll talk about that stupid decision in another post), donated $150,000 to MN Forward, who in turn was donating to MN Republican candidate for governor, Tom Emmer.

Sure, Tom Emmer was pro business (I didn't realize democrats were anti-business but I digress), but what Target's CEO, Gregg Steinhafel, didn't bother to vet about Mr. Emmer, was his anti-gay rights (pretty much all gay rights) agenda.

The Human Rights Campaign and other organization quickly tried to show Target it's error. Target did realize that they acted stupidly and even apologized. But when the HRC asked Target to donate an equal amount to a candidate that was for gay rights Target only said that they would be more careful in future donations.

So the HRC decided to drop Target from it's buying guide (and Best Buy, btw, but I don't shop there as much as I do at Target so that's not a big deal for me--too much temptation in Best Buy for me to blow all my savings so I stay away to protect myself).

So my wife and I decided that we would, for the first time in our life, truly boycott an organization. We have been boycotting Target since this all went down in August. I'll admit, at first, there were some slip ups. We were used to hitting Target a few times a week. Other friends that were also boycotting said it is just as easy to go to Costco, regular grocery stores, and pharmacies to get what we need. Well, it hasn't been so easy. Costco doesn't carry my toothpaste and I think I spent $6.00 for a tube a CVS.

Now, in my research on this subject and other organizations that are in my sights for future stupid calling out, I came across the American Family Association (this organization definitely deserves its own post. They epitomize the word stupid. I think Websters should have a list of this organization and many other sister organizations as examples of the word stupid. I'm thinking, to not repeat myself on future posts, I'll lump them all in one post. Once again, I digress.).

Target, ironically, has a history of being very gay friendly towards their employees. They actually offer partner benefits. Because of this simple little fact the AFA has been boycotting them long before me and the HRC came around.

So, this brings me to two conclusions:

1. Target is really stupid. They are really stupid because they have managed to pretty much piss off all sides of the gay rights issues in this country. That takes some serious talent. Target has definitely become their own victim of trying to please all of the people all of the time. Target has proved that time honored quest of being a friend to everyone is truly an impossible feat and you end up being hated by everyone. Nice job Target! I'm sure there's a Darwin award awaiting you.

2. The second conclusion is that I should stop boycotting Target. As much as I'm disgusted by the donation that Target made (The race for MN governor has the democrat in the lead but it is so close an automatic recount is taking place) I'm more disgusted by the goals of the AFA and I will only be a better person the more distance I create between myself and the people that subscribe to their hateful, ignorant, bigoted philosophies.

And, truth be told, Christmas is coming up and you can't beat Target's prices for clothes, toys, and just about everything else! I miss Target. I'm willing to forgive but not forget! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment